Food Processing Facility, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
SLP Environmental was appointed to perform a pre-investment Environmental and Social Due Diligence (ESDD) assessment on a food processing facility located outside of Phnom Penh, Central Cambodia. Our client was considering investing in an expansion of the facility and in accordance with their corporate E&S due diligence policies required an assessment of the Targets environmental and social documentation and performance. The compliance framework for the assignment included national E&S requirements and international financial institution standards and guidelines including:
- International Finance Corporation Performance Standards; and
- World Bank Group Environmental, Health, and Safety General and Sector Specific Guidelines,.
The primary objectives of the Environmental and Social Due Diligence were to:
- Assess the Projects conformance status with respect to applicable requirements specified in the Compliance Framework;
- Clearly identify any gaps and prioritise them in terms of significance;
- Recommend appropriate corrective actions (CA’s) to close gaps and align Project E&S performance with Compliance Framework requirements;
- Set timelines for implementation of CA’s based on assigned priority and specify appropriate Completion Indicator to verify gap closure;
- Prepare a bespoke Environmental and Social Action Plan (ESAP) for the Project for inclusion in the ESDD report,
- Based on study findings determine likely categorisation of the Project under the Equator Principles; and
- Assess the capacity and resources of the Sponsor to implement the Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) and ESAP requirements.
SLP specialises in performing ESDD on behalf of project lenders and project developers and has completed over one hundred due diligence assignments across multiple business sectors and ASEAN jurisdictions.