Midstream and Downstream Gas Project, Vietnam
SLP Environmental Co., Ltd was appointed by an international investment bank as Lenders Environmental Consultant to perform environmental and social due diligence (ESDD) on a large scale midstream and downstream gas project being developed in Vietnam. The compliance framework for the assignment included national requirements and international financial institution standards and guidelines including:
- The Equator Principles;
- International Finance Corporation Performance Standards;
- World Bank Group Environmental, Health, and Safety General and Sector Specific Guidelines, and
- JICA Guidelines for Environmental and Social Considerations.
The primary objectives of the Environmental and Social Due Diligence were to:
- Assess the Projects conformance status with respect to applicable requirements specified in the Compliance Framework;
- Clearly identify any gaps and prioritise them in terms of significance;
- Recommend appropriate corrective actions (CA’s) to close gaps and align Project E&S performance with Compliance Framework requirements;
- Set timelines for implementation of CA’s based on assigned priority and specify appropriate Completion Indicator to verify gap closure;
- Prepare a bespoke Environmental and Social Action Plan (ESAP) for the Project for inclusion in the ESDD report,
- Based on study findings determine likely categorisation of the Project under the Equator Principles; and
- Assess the capacity and resources of the Sponsor to implement the Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) and ESAP requirements.
SLP specialises in performing ESDD on behalf of project lenders and project developers and has completed extensive due diligence assignments across multiple business sectors and ASEAN jurisdictions.